Monday, May 30, 2011

Will Grayson, Will Grayson


Title: Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Author: John Green and David Levithan
Publisher: New York: Dutton (2010)
ISBN: 0525421580 9780525421580
Pages: 310

4 bookmarks

We all know that there are other people out there who share our name. How often though, do you happen to meet someone with the exact same name as you? Chances are slim to none. However, one night in Chicago, Will Grayson does just that after being ditched by his friends who snuck into a club.

Will Grayson is best friends with Tiny (who is anything but tiny). Tiny, who is pretty flamboyantly gay, has written about his life that he wants to perform for the school. After Will Grayson introduces Tiny to the second Will Grayson, Tiny's play and the life of the original Will Grayson are changed.

While I can't say that this book was epic, or changed my life, or any number of glowing over the top compliments, I can say that it pretty much sucked me in. Despite gay Will Grayson being whiny and complaining constantly, straight Will Grayson being boring and just sort of floating through life, and Tiny being over the top, the book was enjoyable. The flaws in the characters were what actually made them believable. I loved the fact that John Green and David Levithan used the names of actual bands in real life that the characters liked.

I do have to say that the lyrics to Tiny's musical and the musical itself were epic. His musical is one that I definitely would go see. At times, they are funny enough that I would laugh, not just a snort, but an actually laugh. Unfortunately, I do not see the possibility of many high schools putting on a musical like Tiny's. While I do not want to ruin the ending, I do have to mention that it was really touching and showed that both Will Graysons had grown some over the course of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment